Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie--Riley's Favorite

Chicken pot pie can be a sticky issue.  Some folks like biscuit topped pot pie, others like old school pie crusts.  You say po-tay-toe, I say po-taaa-toe.  Wait a minute--that doesn't make much sense when it is typed.  

Matt happens to be in the 3 to 1 crust to pot ratio camp.  I made a  Bacon Cheddar Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie  two years ago and Matt is still dealing with the shock.  This chicken pot pie from Southern Living Magazine is perfect for a ladies night or a brunch but won't fly with a classic pot pie fan.  


Since I work, and have Wylie, I don't have time to make pie crusts.  So don't judge me on the store bought pie crusts and frozen mixed veggies.  I know the instructions below might appear daunting but I can have this sucker in the oven in under 20 minutes if I really push it.  

I need to state for the record that the idea of Cream of Anything soup from a can glopping into my dish is disgusting.  Especially since it is so easy to make your own Cream of Anything without the tons of sodium and ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.  Anytime you need Cream of Anything, start out with equal parts flour and butter (or other fat).  For this recipe I use equal parts flour and butter along with a sprinkle or two or five of the powder form of chicken broth.  Once the butter is melted in the pan simply add in the dry ingredients and whisk until slightly browned.  Add in your liquid, in this case milk, and that is all it takes.  Once it heats up for a while with you whisking constantly, you have your Cream of Chicken without disgustingness.

This recipe is named for my niece Riley.  She requests this dish often from me--even at Thanksgiving, when everyone else is filling up with turkey and dressing.  Here is Riley holding Wylie.  I looked everywhere for pictures of my pot pie but it doesn't exactly photograph pretty and I hated to scare anyone away on my first recipe post.














  Ingredients

  • 1 whole chicken (if I am in a hurry I buy a roasted chicken from the deli at Publix.  But if I am ambitious I roast a whole chicken in the crockpot with chopped celery and onion and salt and pepper.  I highly recommend just buying the roasted chicken from the grocery)
  • 1 large bag of frozen mixed vegetables
  • 2 large baking potatoes
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 3 tablespoons of flour
  • 2 cups of milk warmed in microwave
  • 1.5 tablespoons of chicken broth powder
  • 4 pie rolled up pie shells
  •  1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese (my secret ingredient)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsps rosemary
  • 2 tsps thyme
  • 2 tsps herbs de provence
  • Salt and Pepper to taste


Instructions
  1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Pick the chicken clean and set aside the meat.  Don’t use the skin.  Be sure to get the dark meat too because it adds flavor and is more tender.
  3. Pour frozen veggies in a pan and cover in water.  Bring to a boil and then reduce the temperature and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.  After it they are cooked, drain and set aside. 
  4. Meanwhile, take the baking potatoes and stab with a fork several times. Moisten a paper towel and wrap each potato in moistened towel.  Microwave for 3 minutes.  Carefully turn the potatoes and cook for 2 more minutes.  Let cool and then rough chop them leaving the peels on.  Set aside.
  5. In a pan, melt butter on medium high heat.  When it is completely melted, add in the flour and whisk until it is a thin paste.  Add the warm milk and chicken broth powder.   Whisk constantly until it is thickened.  Add in all the spices (last four in the ingredients list). 
  6. Mix in frozen veggies, chicken, and potatoes.  Always mix in potatoes last so they don’t break up on you.
  7. Roll out pie shells in a 9x13 pan.  Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Pour in chicken mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Cover top with remaining pie shells.  
  8. Brush top with beaten egg. 
  9. Bake for about 30 minutes until the top is golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment