Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Perhaps the easiest cake you will ever make


I am almost embarrassed to put this on the blog.  It really isn't a recipe.  It simply involves opening a box and a can.   But this "recipe" has been a go-to for me recently when I have needed a dessert in 30 minutes and I don't have the desire or time to really bake.




I do a lot of cooking for our Sunday School class when someone is sick or has a new baby and I get tired of always taking the same old desserts over and over.  After spending 10 weeks on strict bed rest where home cooked meals were few and far between, I know how much a home cooked meal and dessert is appreciated.

That being said, let me share my "recipe".

 Here are the players:


Ingredients:

1 box angel food cake
1 can prepared pie filling
Powdered Sugar for dusting

Directions:

1.  Using an immersion blender or small food processor, pulverize the pie filling to break down any whole fruit.  This recipe has been tested with blackberry, strawberry, and lemon pie filling.  The lemon pie filling does not have to be processed to break down fruit.

2.  Pour pie filling in to a bowl and add cake mix.  Stir by hand until well combined.  If you try to use a mixer your angel food cake will go all over the place.


3.   Pour in to a 9x13 greased pan and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.


4.  Remove from oven to cool.  It will look nice and fluffy.  




5.  Until this happens after it has cooled for about 15 minutes.  Ruh Roh!



6.  That is why you hide it under a dusting, who am I kidding, a layer of powdered sugar.  


Tips:

My official tester, Gerald Couch, aka Pops, aka Grandpa, likes the lemon version of this best and I would have to agree with him.  The strawberry comes in a close second.  The blackberry version is good but I just couldn't get past the seeds.  But I am rarely able to get past the seeds when it comes to blackberries.  Sorry blackberries of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment