Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Chicken Cordon Bleu


I have tried variations of this recipe for years.  Here are some of my attempts and the issues I have had with them:


  1. Butterflying the chicken, stuffing it with the ham and cheese, sealing it with a toothpick, and then carefully coating it in bread crumbs.  I hate this version for many reasons.  When I try to butterfly chicken each piece is butchered to pieces and I invariably find myself searching for band-aids to cover my cuts.  
  2. Beating the chicken to death with a mallet, rolling the ham and cheese up in the chicken, sealing with toothpicks, carefully coating it in bread crumbs.  I hate this version but not as much.  I should mention at this point that I am a germaphobe so the idea of being sprayed with chicken juices is less appealing to me than to most.  And I don't care what the cooking shows say about wrapping the meat in cling wrap before using the mallet.  I have been sprayed with enough meat juices to tell you that the first hit breaks the saran wrap letting the juices fly.  Also, by the time you wrap it all up it gets pretty thick, taking longer to cook and drying it out.  
  3. Filet the chicken breast, batter each filet, and then make a chicken sandwich of sorts, placing the ham and cheese in between the two layers of chicken filets.  The problem with this method is that your ham/cheese/chicken ratio is way off.  Also, it takes forever to get it cooked through because each serving is so thick.  

This leads me to my version of choice.  Here are the players:


If you are panicking, wondering just what kind of Chicken Cordon Bleu I am making that involves sweet potatoes and brown sugar, don't panic.  They are for the side dish.  

Ingredients:

1 cup milk
2 tablespoons spicy mustard
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon dried dill
deli ham
provolone cheese
sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter


Instructions:
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Place peeled and sliced sweet potatoes in a greased 9x13 pan. Slice and cube the butter and spread over the potatoes.  Sprinkle brown sugar over the top.  Lightly sprinkle cinnamon if desired.  Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  
  3. Using a fork, mix milk and spicy mustard in a bowl.  Mix bread crumbs and dill in a plate.  Submerge each piece of chicken in the liquid mixture and then coat well with bread crumbs.  Place in a greased 9x13 pan.  Bake in same oven for 20 minutes.  
  4. Remove chicken from oven and cover each piece with ham and cheese.  Return to oven and let cook until cheese is brown.  
  5. Both dishes should come out of the oven at the same time.  I serve this with a vegetable and a ranch dill sauce for the chicken. 

Ranch Dill Sauce: 
Mix 1/4 cup of sour cream with 3 tablespoons of ranch dressing and 1 tablespoon of dried dill.  Mix well and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment